Sunday, October 30, 2011

Some trust in cars....

Psalm 20:7 

Some trusts in chariots, and some in horses; 
But WE trust in the name of the 
Lord our God! 

Photobucket


My entire life I have had car troubles. I always envied those that drove nice, new cars without a care in the world. "What a life" I would think! It was made clear to me early on that that was not going to be the case for me! Reflecting on the "car days of my youth" It taught me a lot. It taught me that usually those most willing to help were those that were in the same (or worse) situation as me. It taught me to have open hands with each day as I never knew what was in store.  It taught me of the JOYS that come from helping others when it is in your power to do so. It taught me that the Lord was faithful as He always provided for me - even if it was not my ideal situation.

When I got married, my precious husband had an amazing car, my dream car to be honest. He decided that it would be best if I drove it for gas mileage and safety purposes and that he would drive mine. Quick to submit to my husband’s leadership, all was well! I thought my car troubles were over, my day had come! This was what I had been waiting for! 
Well about 4 MONTHS AGO my dream car gave us a scare while I was driving with Gracie on the freeway and we had to take it in to get "checked out". Had I known then as we were dropping it off that I would be saying goodbye to the vehicle for 4 MONTHS, I likely would of been devastated. But alas, I kept in good spirits each week. For a while that is.   

Todd and I shared a car over the last 4 months. Between carpools with my adoring mom, walking to Target (I live a mile away!) and Todd having a flexible work situation, we made it work. He, however, will likely tell you that some days my attitude was better than others! I did try to constantly remind myself that most in the world don't even have one car and that we were very blessed with what we DID have. Such a selfish America we live in these days! Shame on me. 

One morning I was doing a Bible study and came across the verse, Psalm 20:7. Not only did I come across it, but also the Bible study recommended that be my verse to memorize for the week. Ironic. 
I started to reflect on the verse and it hit me. At the time that this verse was written, the means of transportation was by horses and chariots.  It hit me over the head that some put their trust in "driving themselves", in planning out their day, getting behind the wheel (or horse) and heading out on the day that THEY have planned for themselves. There is no need to trust in the Lord, they have everything taken care of, they are set. 
BUT some don't have this luxury. Some are not able or simply CHOOSE not to trust in the road they have laid out and CHOOSE to trust in the Lord.  They CHOOSE to put their trust in where HE drives them, where HE leads them, where HE chooses is best. Oh the blessing that comes from trusting the Lord and knowing he is in control. "Plans to prosper, not to harm"... 
I realized that I would much rather put my life in the hands of the creator of the Universe than to scramble around trying to drive around and figure everything out on my own. I realized that trusting the LORD to take care of me and my family each day without access to a vehicle was a lot more peaceful than relying on myself because everything seemed to be going rather well and I could control my own day without a care in the world. Funny how trials reveal things to you isn't it?! 

It took me 4 months to learn this lesson because we got our car back yesterday. I would be lying if I said the smile has left my face, I am a giddy girl. BUT I am so thankful for this small trial as it taught me more than I have learned in a while. 

So Buckle Up! No matter which road you choose, you are going to need your seat belt!

Photobucket





No comments:

Post a Comment